REACH OUT AND READ GREATER CLEVELAND
Promoting a love of books and reading among children and families in Greater Cleveland
About ROR GC
ROR GC has been Cleveland's proud organizer of the Reach Out and Read model since 1998. Reach Out and Read's evidence-based, three-part model utilizes the help of doctors, nurse practitioners, and other medical professionals to make an impactful intervention at regular pediatric checkups:
- Trained doctors and nurses speak with parents about the importance of reading aloud, starting in infancy.
- At each regular checkup from 6 months through 5 years of age, the child receives a new book to take home.
- Many Reach Out and Read program sites create literacy-rich environments that include gently-used books for waiting room use and/or volunteer readers to model for parents the techniques of reading aloud to young children.
As a result of this three-part intervention at the doctor's office, parents become more engaged and read to their children more often at home. The time spent reading translates into quantifiable gains. Our evidence base of 16 peer-reviewed research studies show that in families served by Reach Out and Read:
- Parents are 2.5X more likely to read to their children
- Parents are 2X more likely to to read to their children more than three times a week
- Families are 2.5X more likely to enjoy reading together or have books in the home
- Children's language development is improved by 3-6 months
- Children's language ability improves with increased exposure to Reach Out and Read
These early foundational language skills help propel children on a path of success!
Members of the ROR GC Board, 2017